BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
Government Technical College, Ikotun is one of the five (5) Technical Colleges in Lagos State.
It was established in September 1985 by the Ministry of Education. The purpose is to produce qualified and competency skills Craftsmen, Artisans and Technicians for the economic development and growth of Lagos State in particular and Nigeria in general.
The College is located at Ikotun along Idimu Road in Ikotun –Igando Local Council Development Area. It was initially designed as Vocational Centre but later rose to the status of a full-fledged Technical College in September 1989.
The College, at the moment, has twelve (12) occupational trades which are as follows:
- Computer Craft Studies
- Electrical Installation and Maintenance Works
- Mechanical Engineering Craft
- Motor Vehicle Mechanic
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Works
- Welding and Fabrication
- Block laying and Concreting
- Furniture Craft
- Plumbing and Pipe-fitting
- Graphic Arts
- Ladies Garment making
The College Principals from inception to date are as follows:
- Ajao, G.O – 1985- 1992
- Okusaga, I.A (Late) – 1992-1999
- Badejoko, F.T 1999 – 2012
- Ekundayo, K. A 2012 – 2014
- Adaramola, S. O 2015 – Till Date
PRINCIPAL OFFICERS OF THE COLLEGE
1.) Mr. Adaramola, S.O
- B.Sc TECH (Electrical Installation),
- F. T. C, T.T.C, P.T.I
2.) Mrs. Badru, L. O
- Vice Principal (Administration)
- B.Sc. Ed (Electrical / Electronics)
3.) Mr. Popoola, T.O
- Vice Principal (Industry)
- B.Sc TECH
4.) Mrs. Bajulaye, C.O
- Vice Principal (Academics)
- SC. Ed (Mathematics)
5.) Mr. Adekunle, B.M
- Vice Principal (Special Duties)
- B.SC (Ed) Building TECH.
Staff strength: – As at now the total staff strength is One Hundred And Twelve (112) that is, teaching staff eight-five (85) and non-teaching staff twenty-seven (27)
Students population: – The current student’s population is as follows.
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3|
|Motor Vehicle Mechanics||80||55||27|
|R & A||39||27||15|
|Fabrication & Welding||20||42||17|
|Mechanical Engineering Craft||81||55||33|
|Plumbing & Pipe fitting||43||27||08|
COMPUTER CRAFT STUDENTS HAVING A PRACTICAL SESSION
ELECTRICAL STUDENTS HAVING A PRACTICAL SESSION
FURNITURE MAKING STUDENTS
Achievement: –G.T.C. Ikotun was rated the most outstanding College for the year 2015/2016 Academic Session.
Engr. Olawunmi Gasper presenting the award to Mr. Adaramola, S.O. Principal Government Technical College, Ikotun
The college has partnered with the under listed companies
Skipper Engineering Academy
The Academy was launched on Wednesday 26th November 2014 by the former Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN)
DETAILS OF PARTNERS
|S/N||NAME OF PARTNER||BENEFIT|
|1||Skipper Academy||Training Centre|
|2||Multi York Furniture, Ikotun||Industrial Training|
|3||Albert –Furniture Ikotun||Industrial Training|
|4||U.T.C. Aluminium Industry Ikeja||Industrial Training|
|5||HICmzin – Carwash Idimu||Industrial Training|
|6||International Uniforms Egbeda||Industrial Training|
|7||Iron Product Industry Ikotun||Industrial Training|
|8||Smartwears Ikotun||Industrial Training|
|9||Bedmate Furniture Nig. Ltd,Opebi||Industrial Training|
|10||Tata African Services Nig. Ltd.||Industrial Training|
|11||Doyin Investment Nig. Ltd||Industrial Training|
|12||Toyota Moto Vehicle Industry||Industrial Training|
|13||Automedics Agidingbin||Industrial Training|
|14||Road truckers Nig.Ltd||Industrial Training|
|15||UTAL Building Products Ltd-Obasa||Industrial Training|
|16||Coscaris Motor||3 Different vehicle Engine (Land Rover,BMW, and 2 gear box|
Also through a partnership with skipper Academy, the College has been able to train 20 students from G.T.C. Adosoba and 20 students from G.T.C, Ikotun respectively and we hope to do more with the support from the Board.
It is worthy to state that the College serves as a recruitment base for the following industries for their workforce.
- Flour Mills of Nigeria PLC.
- Dangote Academy
- Oshogbo Steel Rolling Mill Oshogbo
- Nigeria Bottling Company PLC (Coca cola) Ikeja
- Ikeja Electricity Board
Academics:- In the area of academics, the College results have been on the track of improvement from year to year and the College will rest on its oars until the pinnacle of success has been attained.
Parents’ Form:- The parents’ Forum has been assisting the College. Last year the Tech 2 parents gave the school one hundred (100) tables and chairs for students’ usage and 10 tables for the use of staff. The forum also helped in the purchase of twenty (20) magnetic board which has enhance effective teaching and learning outcomes. Repairs and tiling of students and staff toilets. Repairs of damaged roof in Automobile section.
NASFAT: – The body also gave the College, 25 tables and chairs for students usage. All these were produced by the Furniture Section of the College.
CHALLENGES: – The College is facing a lot of challenges for which it requires assistance
- There is a need for a block of 12 classrooms to accommodate the present student’s population.
- Enough furniture are needed for both teachers and students
- Laboratories are completely in shamble and need to be put in place to enhance proper teaching and learning.
- The College has no sick bay for the students’ health care.
- Though the workshops are well painted, modern equipment should be put in place to cope with the current technical challenges in our country.
- Above all, the College needed adequate funding especially in the area of consumables materials
Technical College is a practically oriented institution, there must be fund always to get the day –to- day needs so as to achieve the goals of the College.