LAGOS STATE TECHNICAL AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION BOARD.
GOVERNMENT TECHNICAL COLLEGE, ADO SOBA
The Government Technical College, Ado Soba’ is one of the Five Technical Colleges owned by the Lagos State Government was established in the year 1985 by the State Ministry of Education for production of Craftsmen and Technicians.
The College derives its name from the two adjoining villages, Abule – Ado, and Abule Soba where the College is located, hence the name Government Technical College Ado- Soba.
The College is located on a Perimeter land mass of about 16,000 Kilometres and bounded on the west by Oando Petrol station and International Trade Fair Complex, on the North and East by the festival (Festac) Town extension and also on the South by Plumbing Material Market and Badagry Expressway.
The College first started as a Vocational College but later has her status risen to a Technical College in 1989 at the moment there are Fourteen Occupational trades in the college. These includes
- Block laying and Concreting
- Furniture Craft Practice
- Painting and Decoration
- Plumbing and Pipe fitting
- Electrical Installation and Maintenance works
- Fabrication and welding
- Mechanical engineering craft Practice
- Motor vehicle Mechanics Works
- Computer Craft Practice
- Catering Craft Practice
- Graphic Arts
- Printing Craft Practice
- Book- keeping (Accounting)
- Secretarial Studies
THE PURPOSE OF THE COLLEGE:
The main purpose of the college is to produce Craftsmen and Technicians in Manufacturing, Building and Engineering trades as well as Business and Miscellaneous Trade areas, with a view of generating pools of indigenous trained manpower sufficient enough to meet the needs of the economy
THE PHILOSOPHY OF THE COLLEGE:
The Philosophy of the College is hinged in the Motto ‘’THERE IS DIGNITY IN LABOUR’’
The Mission of the College is
‘’To produce quality and excellent Students that will reach their full Potentials through-Structural skilled training, which will not only make them enterprising and self-reliant but highly motivated products for end users – the Industries and Tertiary Institutions.’’
While the Vision is:
‘’To be the best Technical College that will produce students who can apply scientific knowledge to the improvement and solution of environmental problems, for the use and convenience of man’’
COLLEGE PLANS, DEVELOPMENTS, AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- NUMBERS OF GRADUATES: Since inception, the college has graduated about 8,400 young Male and female Technicians and Craftsmen with recordable success stories. Some were self-employed others furthered the Education in the Polytechnics and Universities both Home and Abroad.
- PRACTICAL TRAINING AND INDUSTRIAL EXPERIENCE: To ensure sound Practical Knowledge and cultivation of entrepreneurial skill for the Students the College has established, through the Production unit of the College, a registered production enterprise. The enterprise named GOVTECO ADO-SOBA PRODUCTION UNIT ENTERPRISES was registered by The Corporate Affairs Commission of the Federal republic. The general nature of the business is to handle Engineering, Construction works, catering services and general contracts.
- ULTRA MODERN WORKSHOP: The College is to be special known for Auto- mechatronics trade (Modern application of electronics equipment to diagnose and repair automobile Vehicle). Presently the workshop is under construction with the joint effort of Lagos State Government and The Private Public Partnership (PPP).The workshop when completed may be first of its kind in Nigeria.
Administrative officers of the college
- Jagun S.A Principal
- Ijoma vice principal administration
- Onogagamue vice principal academics
- kelani vice principal Industry
Heads of Departments
- Mr Abimbola Engineering trades
- Fabiyi Construction trades
- Mrs Nmoma Miscellaneous trades
- Fajemiyo Business trades
- Mr Aniegbunam General Education
List of Principals Till Date
- Olaleye A – Nov. 1985 – Jan. 1989
- Chief Ajileye – Jan. 1989 – Feb. 1991
- Mrs. Lot F.A. (Acting) Feb. 1991 – March 1992
- Alhaji Yusuf K. – March 1992 – August 1986
- Mr. Akindele J.O.A. – Oct. 1986 – Nov. 2011
- Mr. JAgun S.A. – Nov. 2011 – Till Date